The Design Process
Defining The Design Process
Student Learning Objectives and Outcomes
1a. Students will be able to define The Design Process
1b. Students will perform an activity that demonstrates The Design Process
1c. Students will perform an investigation and blog/journal their results to communicate their findings
2a. Students will be able to explain the difference between the Design Process and The Scientific Method
2b. Students will be able to write a statement that will lead towards their own personal scientific investigation or design process
2c. SWBT identify a problem and evaluate solutions
2d. SWBT identify criteria and constraints.
DEVELOPING THE DESIGN PROCESS
1. ) Engineering Design Challenge (EDP) Example: Provide an example to build a foundation for student thinking
Students will carry out the procedures and experimentation (Building a tower out of index cards to hold
an object) - Identify Problem, Criteria/Constraints, Possible Solutions
2.) Students will discuss and share results then brainstorm possible in-depth questions that could further the investigation given additional time and
* Challenge: Design a way to retrieve a puppy who has fallen is a sewer
PROPOSING RESEARCH: Testable Questions and The Design Process
We will Identify different purposes for questions by providing several examples of different questions and the purpose they may serve. Students will be
given practice developing questions to help direct their own investigation. Illustrate the difference between using The Scientific Method and The Design
Process for investigation.
1. Use the following graphic organizer to help students better direct their purpose: CHART
2. Students will generate a statement about their own topic of interest that my include a "testable" question and show scientific relevance. EDP will
include identification of a 'problem' and possible criteria and constraints to drive their research.
3 . Share and communication ideas with others.
1. Students will create a Venn diagram that compares and contrasts The Design Process and The Scientific Method
2. Students are questioned during The Design Process activity to determine active learning and application of the design process steps
3. Students will be assessed on their development and criteria of a "testable" question/Design Challenge and analysis